Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Discovery Bottles

I have seen lots of discovery bottles on Pinterest so I decided that I would make a couple for the boys. Here a few of the ones I found on Pinterest:







And here are the ones I made. I took these pictures at night in the dark office so the lighting is not good at all. These are VOSS water bottles and I had to go to Whole Foods to get them because apparently they are the only store around here who sells these bottles. They do work very nicely for the purpose of making these bottles!

First, I made some colored rice and pasta using food coloring and rubbing alcohol. Then, I filled one bottle with just the rice and pasta. I filled another bottle with water beads, pom poms and other various items I found around the house. I filled one bottle with blue water and vegetable oil---the oil and water do not mix so it makes some nice ocean waves. If you drop an alka seltzer tablet in---it will create a lava lamp effect.





I used the last two bottles to make I Spy bottles. I filled them with various small objects and rice. I made a picture card before putting the items in the bottle so the the kids could use the cards to try and find all the objects in the bottle.






I still need to hot glue or super glue the lids on and then the kids can play with them all they want. I hope they like them :)

No comments: